Meet Aislyn and Marie. Two best friends offering real-life, humorous takes on everything from America to Zoloft, all while raising questions and raising babies. Sink your teeth into these mouthwatering morsels of insight, of wisdom and of life experience, uncensored.

About Us

Monday, August 25, 2008

GO FAST!

What did these people all have in common?

Socrates
Plato
Aristotle
Hippocrates
Jesus
Moses
Elijah
and
David?

They all fasted as a means of purification, of healing and/or as a way of seeking God.

Right now, there is someone in my life involved in a 24-hour, water-only fast and I'm learning that it's actually not such a bad idea for a multitude of reasons.

At first, when this person told me they planned to fast, immediately I assumed they were off-the-deep-end-out-of-their-mind insane. I mean, why would you purposely go even one day without food when you don't have to? It's so un-American!

I suppose I shouldn't have been surprised when the answer I received (via said faster) was, "To seek the face of God." To which I responded (in my mind), "Well, yeah... I'm sure I would see a lot of stuff too if I hadn't eaten in a day... God would probably just be one of them - along with visions of Moe's burritos and milkshakes."

However, after researching "benefits of fasting" online, I found the following:

1. Fasting is actually a modern, physician-accepted way of ridding toxins from the body... that is, as long as you're not suffering from serious ailments such as hypoglycemia or heart problems.

2. Fasting regenerates and energizes the body, mind and emotions, and supports a greater spiritual awareness.

3. Its use goes back many thousands of years, to the beginning of life forms.

4. Fasting is a natural method of healing. When animals are sick, they fast.

5. Well, duh - it cleans out your colon and... I mean, c'mon... who doesn't enjoy a sparkling, april-fresh colon?


Now I'm not saying that fasting's for me... but what I am saying is... if you think you can handle the hunger pangs - or God's face and audible voice, for that matter - it might not be such a bad idea.

Click here for a great article on fasting: HERE

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. Please see your PCP first, should you decide to fast.



Have you ever intentionally fasted?
Do you plan to fast?
What did you learn/experience?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OMG---I laughed so hard in between the quite interesting facts. And they were very informative. On the lighter side, I liked "who doesn't like an april-fresh colon" remark. lol
Never have fasted. I always have wanted to, but alas, the pangs get me and I admit to my human weakness.
Maybe a future goal? great read
Love mom