Meet Aislyn and Marie. Two best friends offering real-life, humorous takes on everything from America to Zoloft, all while raising questions and raising babies. Sink your teeth into these mouthwatering morsels of insight, of wisdom and of life experience, uncensored.

About Us

Thursday, August 28, 2008

I ALWAYS KNEW...

...I was smart!

It was brought to my attention that the two nominees for U.S. President are both left handed. I also am a "southpaw". I've been doing some research on this gift I've been given. For a long time I felt handicapped by this. I would always smudge the paper when I wrote. I had to learn how to cut with my right hand and I noticed that my handwriting looked a little wonky.

Left handers are more inclined to go into the arts, music or anything that requires us to use our imagination. Some current theories say we will soon move from the Information Age to the Conceptual Age as described in an article by Daniel H. Pink, Revenge of the Right Brain. This basically says that the outsourcing of routine analytical jobs will continue and companies will rely more heavily on creative and imaginative people to sell their products or services.

In his book Right-Hand, Left-Hand, Chris McManus of University College London argues that the proportion of left-handers is rising and left-handed people as a group have historically produced an above-average quota of high achievers. He says that left-handers' brains are structured differently in a way that widens their range of abilities, and the genes that determine left-handedness also govern development of the language centers of the brain.

McManus also says that the increase in the 20th century of people identifying as left-handed could produce a corresponding intellectual advance and a leap in the number of mathematical, sporting, or artistic geniuses.


So...I'm proud to be a lefty. Perhaps a career in politics awaits?

To see a list of some famous lefties click here

This reminds me of a great quote:

Everyone is born right handed. Only the gifted overcome it.




Italicized quote taken from wikipedia.org

2 comments:

Marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie said...

Dusty's left handed too.

Of course, his genius doesn't count because...you know... he's a Republican.

;-)